Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Review - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button





So if you read my Brad Pitt blog below then you know that I'm partial to the guy. I had very high expectations for this film, very high. I must say that this indeed looks like Brad's 1st big-time super blockbuster Will Smith-like film. Its an awesome piece of cinema to say the least. Aside from being almost three hours long and Kate Blanchett's thousand-year-old babbling bed ridden character I had no issues. So to make this more to-the-point I'll do this in LIST FORMAT:

The film's backdrop: Early 1900s to 2001's Katrina ravaged New Orleans. I loved the authentic Louisiana plantation houses and beautiful scenery. The old folks home was a compelling setting to raise a child.

Special Effects: Phenomenal. David Fincher took the special effects that would normally be used to blow up planets or interstellar space wars and compressed them into the smallest details like dilating pupils, expressions, skin textures, etc.

Taraji P. Henson: Wonderful performance from this woman. As Benjamin's mother she projected to the audience such an authentic and unyielding love to a surrogate son that no one else wanted. She undoubtedly deserves recognition for another stellar performance.

Brad Pitt: He delivered one of his most subtle, understated performances. This film showcased Brad's range as an actor. We've seen him as the crazy mental patient bouncing off the walls (Seven), the anarchist lunatic bent on destruction (Fight Club), and the cool Agent guy (Mr. & Mrs. Smith) to name a few.

Kate Blanchett: An impressive performance as well. BUT, Kate as the OLD woman in the hospital bed speaking to her daughter got so bothersome I wanted to shoot myself. There were times when I couldn't understand what the hell she was saying. The prosthetics may have been a tad bit over the top there as well. She was only in her early 80s technically--I guess maybe cause she was on her deathbed. Did she have to be on her deathbed actually?

Biggest surprise: The guy who told the stories about being struck by lighting 7 times while minding his own business was absolutely HILARIOUS. Completely unexpected.

I know there are more things I could touch on but overall it was just amazing to watch Benjamin get younger and younger slowly but surly. Watching his life unravel in this series of adventures was reminiscent of Forest Gump and maybe Big Fish--but not too much so. There are people that say its just a punched up Forest Gump. NO WAY! This may be hollywood blasphemy, but The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a BETTER film than Forest Gump.

Overall though, The Curious Case of Benjamin makes you examine your own life and loves. It made me realize just how much I have actually done by the age of 28 years and how much more I'm in for. The movie did give me a melancholy feeling throughout. Maybe because I knew, just as we know in real life, that his good times would come to an end and he would lose everything he loved.



Until next time,

Sirius.

Go see it if you haven't yet. Pack a sack lunch--you're in for a long one. Definitely worth it.

3 comments:

  1. hi sirius- you left a comment on our blog so i'm checking out your blog. interesting stuff on here. although i went to see seven pounds...i probably won't be going to see this movie. see, i actually get bored in movies (sounds crazy- i know). i sit there and think of all the stuff i could be doing if i wasn't sitting in a movie theater. so, i tend to watch movies at home where i can pause and come back to it when i'm ready. with that being said...i went to the movies on friday! i didn't get bored or fall asleep as usual. my hubby and i saw "four christmases". it had funny parts. but, i doubt i'll see the "curious" movie...3 hours??? i'll pull my hair out! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a movie worth watching while I'm still on American soil instead of waiting to cop it on the bootleg for 70 cents in Jakarta (which is what I usually do these days). First of all, I absolutely, positively love any and everything about New Orleans and am willing to watch any movie that takes place there. Undoubtedly shallow, I know, but everyone has that initial "lure" that draws them to watch a film and, in this case, the setting is mine. Given that up until last night, I hadn't heard of this film, it's not that surprising. More so, I didn't know that it not only starred Brad Pitt but it also included Taraji Henderson. I like her most of the time. She's truly grown since her role in Baby Boy, one where she was irritatingly believable. I'd love to watch her spread her wings in a more mature role. Additionally, the plot of the movie sounds quite strange, and I've always been attracted to strange, so it sounds like something I'll definitely be up for watching. The three hours thing might be a dealbreaker though...I guess that's what the DVD will be for:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the 3 hours concerned me at first too...but I didn't even really notice honestly. Definitely a strange commentary on life and living and all the moments we may take for granted. Sort of Forrest Gump-ish...

    ReplyDelete